Attack Nick Mariano details decision to transfer to Syracuse

Nick Mariano said his lifelong dream has been to play for Syracuse. And after spending his first two collegiate seasons at Massachusetts, he’ll finally be able to fulfill that.

“Growing up watching the great players that played there … it’s a real privilege and honor to become part of that list and pedigree of players,” Mariano said. “I just can’t wait and hopefully I run with my opportunity.”

Mariano, who totaled 51 goals and 30 assists and started every game over the past two seasons, found out on Monday that he’ll be eligible for the Orange in 2016 after transferring from UMass.

The lefty attack joins a position group that is looking to replace starters Kevin Rice and Randy Staats who both graduated, but said their absence wasn’t a big factor in his decision.

“It was just more of the tradition and the competitiveness that they play at every day and every game,” Mariano said. “That’s kind of what I wanted. I wanted to play on one of the highest levels I could possibly play in, especially in the ACC.”

While reports of Mariano’s transfer came out nearly two months ago, he still needed to complete two online classes at UMass in order to enroll at SU for the fall and be eligible to play this upcoming spring. While the process was stressful for both him and his parents, Mariano said, he was confident he’d complete everything he needed, which he did.

Mariano said he was also considering Ohio State, Loyola (Maryland) and Penn State, but ultimately chose Syracuse.

“Sometimes you just got to do what’s good for yourself or what’s better for yourself,” Mariano said, “And I figured with the transfer I would be more successful if I went somewhere else. Start fresh at school and on the field.”