Training Camp

AJ Long limited in quarterback drills and other early day 6 notes

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

AJ Long didn't handle a ball in his right hand during Friday's open portion of practice after leaving yesterday's practice early and holding his right hand.

Sophomore AJ Long didn’t hold a ball in his right hand during quarterback slide warmups and didn’t participate in quarterback-center exchanges and passing during Friday’s open portion of practice. The signal-caller left yesterday’s practice early and was holding his right hand at times while bending over. He recently got a cast removed from that hand after a broken bone this summer.

Yesterday, in a statement via SU Athletics, Scott Shafer said the injury is no big deal. The head coach will address the media at 11 a.m. Friday.

Freshmen weren’t at practice due to a freshman symposium wrapping up summer classes, so quarterback Eric Dungey wasn’t in attendance. Only senior Terrel Hunt and sophomore Austin Wilson participated in quarterback-center exchanges.

Other early day six observations

• Center Kendall Moore worked with the tight ends again despite two centers not working with the group during Friday’s open portion. Sophomore center Donnie Foster worked with the other offensive linemen and freshman Andrejas Duerig was at the symposium, but Moore still worked with his position group from 2014.
  • Incumbent starting kicker Cole Murphy went 2-for-4 on field goals that the media saw. He pushed his first one wide right then missed his third well left.
  • For the fourth straight day, senior defensive tackle John Raymon worked individually with defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough and didn’t do push-ups with the team.
  • Personnel from the Denver Broncos and New York Giants were in attendance during the beginning of open practice.
  • Sophomore tight ends Tyler Provo and P.J. Batten, redshirt freshman offensive tackle Denzel Ward and senior cornerback Eric Jackson all sat out the early part of practice.