Arts

Syracuse University alumna Cheryl Strayed plans to release book of quotes

Courtesy of Cheryl Strayed

Strayed, who graduated from SU in 2002, received national-recognition for her memoir “Wild."

Syracuse University alumna Cheryl Strayed plans to release “Brave Enough,” a book of more than 100 of her notable quotes, in October, Knopf Canada announced in a press release Wednesday.

“From the comic to the profound, the simple to the complex, the sorrowful to the ecstatic, the inspiring to the stern, whenever I need consolation or encouragement, a clear-eyed perspective or a swift kick in the pants—which is often—quotes are what I turn to. I think of quotes as mini-instruction manuals for the soul. It’s my appreciation for their very usefulness that compelled me to put together this book. Not because I believe in my own sagacity, but because I believe in the power of words to help us reset our intentions, clarify our thoughts, and create a counter-narrative to the voice of doubt many of us have murmuring in our heads. The one that says, ‘You can’t, you won’t, you shouldn’t have.’ Quotes, at their core, almost always shout Yes! ‘Brave Enough’ aims to be a book of yes,” said Strayed in the press release.

Strayed, who graduated from SU in 2002, is best known for her memoir “Wild,” which follows her journey of self-discovery while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. “Wild” was adapted to the silver screen last year, starring Reese Witherspoon.

Strayed has also penned other novels, including “Torch,” her debut, and “Tiny Beautiful Things,” which is a collection of her “Dear Sugar” advice columns.