Syracuse football freshmen: Blair, Hofrichter, Fredrick, Cross, Henderson

Courtesy of Sterling Hofrichter

Sterling Hofrichter may bring more than just field goal kicking to the Orange this season, posing a possible challenge to Cole Murphy and Riley Dixon.

Syracuse football freshman move-in day is Sunday, and Scott Shafer welcomes a crop of 26 — including early enrollee Matt Keller — onto the team. Here’s a brief look at the third five of the group.

Reminder: Original Class of 2015 commit Brandon Ginnetti will arrive in January as part of the Class of 2016 and Trey Dunkelberger is a junior college transfer, so he won’t be included in the freshman class. All physical measurements are according to Scout.

Marquise Blair, safety, Wooster (Ohio) High School

Blair is the lone four-star prospect in the class and one of two commits from the state of Ohio. He runs a 4.44-second 40-yard dash and could factor as a backup in a secondary that lost three of its four starters, and one other significant contributor in Ritchy Desir. The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder hasn’t definitely qualified academically, per Syracuse.com, but he’s expected to find out soon if he does.

Sterling Hofrichter, kicker, Armwood (Florida) High School

Hofrichter impressed Shafer in person, earning him a scholarship en route to verbally committing last June. He has a versatile leg and is able to punt, kick field goals and take kickoffs. He may be in a battle with incumbent Cole Murphy to do so – and dare he even challenge Riley Dixon?

Christopher Fredrick, safety, Cedar Grove (Georgia) High School

Fredrick stands at 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, running a 4.5-second 40-yard dash. He too — maybe not on the same level as Blair — will push a young secondary to fill the holes of Brandon Reddish, Darius Kelly and Durell Eskridge. Cornerback Julian Whigham is the only returning starter, and Fredrick could help bolster the second line of that unit. He had 30 total tackles in his senior season for Cedar Grove, per MaxPreps.

Tyler Cross, defensive tackle, Northview (Georgia) High School

Along with Giudice and Steven Clark, Cross may have to play a bigger role than he thinks with three graduations and the departures of Williams, Isaiah Johnson and Marcus Coleman. It’s a thin, young unit for Syracuse this season and cross may find himself fighting for time with redshirt freshmen Kayton Samuels and Chris Slayton.

Troy Henderson Jr., outside linebacker, St. Edward (Ohio) High School

Henderson developed a strong relationship with linebackers coach Clark Lea which led to his commitment. He had this to say to The Daily Orange last summer about what he feels he best brings to the table.

“I’m able to get off the ball quick, able to get off blocks quick, make plays in the open field and make open-field tackles,” Henderson said. “I’m a very good tackler.”

He’ll join a youthful group that will see three sophomores starting in Marqez Hodge, Zaire Franklin and either Jonathan Thomas or Parris Bennett.