Countdown to Camp

No. 5: Replacing Sean Hickey on a retooled offensive line

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

Sean Hickey anchored the offensive line last season, but all eyes are now on Ivan Foy to see how well he can hold down the line in Hickey's departure.

Syracuse’s offense, predicated on Terrel Hunt’s arm and hoping to run the ball much more effectively in 2015, badly needs a good season from its new-look offensive line.

And SU offensive line coach Joe Adam, who has been playing musical chairs with his unit since the middle of last season, will look to accomplish that without his most reliable player from last season.

Even with all the injuries that thinned the offensive line last season, it was expected that Sean Hickey would protect the the quarterback’s blindside at left tackle. But Hickey is entering training camp with the New Orleans Saints and the Orange is entering camp without a player of his caliber up front.

Senior Ivan Foy is expected to succeed Hickey at left tackle after starting 19 games at right tackle over the last two seasons, and will be a crucial element in a zone-read scheme that will always be able to utilize more space.

Around Foy are other players adjusting to new spots for the upcoming season. Senior Nick Robinson is flipping to left guard after starting 21 games at right guard the last two seasons. Senior Rob Trudo, who has started three years at guard, is transitioning to center to replace the graduated John Miller. Aaron Roberts is currently slated to play right guard after redshirting as a freshman last season. And junior Omari Palmer started nine games last year, including six at right tackle in place of an injured Foy, is expected to start in that spot.  

But the most eyes will be on Foy, who is looking to adequately replace a player who went toe-to-toe with Clemson defensive end Vic Beasley on a bum left ankle and was the clear anchor of a unit that is now in need of one.