Countdown to Camp

No. 13: Usage of Brisly Estime and Ashton Broyld

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Junior Brisly Estime (9), along with senior Ashton Broyld, will need to find consistency to spark the Orange offense after a season in which both were slowed down by injuries.

With Syracuse football training camp just a month away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty, Matt Schneidman and Paul Schwedelson will reveal the top 15 preseason storylines with a new one every other day. Make sure to check dailyorange.com and click here to see all the posts as we count down to camp.

Syracuse is getting younger in the passing game, but there should still be room in Tim Lester’s offense for Brisly Estime and Ashton Broyld.

Estime and Broyld have both shuffled through different positions as SU has shuffled through three different offensive identities in the last three seasons. Going into this year, Broyld is playing SU’s new hybrid position with Ervin Philips, Ben Lewis and freshman Tyrone Perkins. Estime is playing wide receiver after being labeled an H-back, more or less a slot receiver, the past two years.

Both players are past the point of untapped potential — Estime a junior and Broyld a senior — that was flashed in previous seasons but ultimately held down by injuries and trouble fitting into different systems.

Last year, Estime was supposed to be a perfect fit in George McDonald’s no-huddle offense, but both Estime and the offense suffered similar fates. Estime battled a recurring ankle injury all season and finished with 10 receptions for 140 yards and a touchdown.

Broyld, who joined the Orange as a four-star recruit in 2012, played in just four games last year due to a lower-right leg injury. He was tabbed as one of Terrel Hunt’s top targets heading into last season, but watched from the bench as rising sophomore Steve Ishmael grew into a No. 1 receiver catching passes from A.J. Long.

Now Syracuse’s two veteran-most options in the passing game will get another shot to gel in an offense — Estime looking to use his blazing speed and Broyld his mismatch-creating size. The Orange averaged 5.8 yards per pass attempt last season, good for second worst in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Estime and Broyld do have the ability to boost that number and their team’s passing game, but turning ability into results has proven no small task for either player.