Women's Lacrosse

NCAA adds 90-second possession clock to women’s lacrosse

Larry E. Reid Jr. | Staff Photographer

Syracuse head coach Gary Gait (second from left) discussed the need for a possession clock in women's lacrosse several times throughout this past season. On Thursday, the NCAA announced a possession clock will be added in 2017.

The NCAA has added a 90-second possession clock to women’s lacrosse, it announced in a release on Thursday. The rule won’t go into effect until the 2017 season, however, as the NCAA cited potential financial implications for programs.

Maryland held the ball for the last six minutes against Syracuse in last season’s NCAA semifinal, and Orange head coach Gary Gait has been vocal about wanting a shot clock. The rule was initially proposed on June 4 by the NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Rules Committee and was approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel with the goal of improving pace of play and preventing the abuse of clock management.

The clock will reset only if a shot is deflected by the goalkeeper or hits the pipe of the goal. The rule requires that two visible clocks be placed on each end of the field or one clock be placed at the scorer’s table.

The addition of the shot clock accompanied several other rule changes to begin in 2016, including more extensive stick checks and stick checks after each goal. Referees check pocket depth on sticks and will be checking other aspects before games. Overtime will also be decided in a sudden-death format, and teams will switch ends every three minutes.