University Politics

Former engineering dean to assess campus operations

Former College of Engineering and Computer Science Dean Laura Steinberg will be conducting an assessment of Syracuse University’s Campus, Planning, Design and Construction operations, Chancellor Kent Syverud announced Thursday.

Steinberg, who stepped down as dean of the engineering school in May 2014, will begin the comprehensive assessment this summer and will serve as Special Assistant to the Chancellor. Her assessment and recommendations will be reported to Syverud by Dec. 31, according to an SU News release.

The assessment of CPDC will include an examination of how peer institutions manage operations that fall within the realm of the CPDC and looking at the best practices throughout higher education, according to the release. Such operations include managing all aspects of design, planning and construction of SU facilities and for the Capital Project Planning process.

“Laura’s knowledge, academic leadership experience and national reputation in civil and urban engineering, design and built environments will be a great asset to the University,” said Syverud in the release. “Her contributions will help ensure a top-quality overall campus physical environment that supports and enhances the student experience.”

Steinberg left her position in December 2014 and took a sabbatical this spring. Teresa Dahlberg has since been selected as the next dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science and will assume her role on Aug. 1.