Back to School

Back to school shopping: MicroFridge

Sara Swann | Asst. News Editor

The MicroFridge combines a microwave and a mini fridge all in one, covering all of your dorm room culinary needs.

This is the first in a series of stories that will appear on Fridays on The Daily Orange website until the fall semester starts. The series is designed to help students and parents weigh the prices and benefits of various dorm room necessities and accessories. 

If you’re moving into a dorm room for the first time this year, chances are you don’t yet know the importance of the all-essential MicroFridge. When it comes to smuggling cookie-wiches back from the dining hall or stocking up on microwave meals, though, you’ll be grateful for your little 3-foot tall, 700-watt appliance — annoying humming noise and all.

The MicroFridge combines a microwave and a mini fridge all in one, covering all of your dorm room culinary needs. Since you’re likely to venture outside the world of mini fridges for good after moving off campus, The Daily Orange Pulp staff recommends spending a limited amount on your MicroFridge. Here, we weighed the pros and cons between buying your own microwave and fridge or renting one from Syracuse University.

Amazon EdgeStar Energy Star 3.1 Cu. Ft. Refrigerator and Microwave Combo (purchase) — $327.00

Pros:
A new MicroFridge will have less usage and wear and tear than a rental or a used option, so it may operate better.
With a new MicroFridge, you have sellback ability. After you’re done with it, you can sell it back for $150 like the Craigslist MicroFridge below is being sold for, possibly saving you more money in the long run.

Cons:
This option is more expensive than renting from SU if you’re only planning on using it for a year and is more expensive than most used MicroFridges on Craigslist.
The fridge and microwave ship separately.

SU Bookstore MicroFridge Rental (1 year) — $199.99

Pros:
The service the University provides delivers the MicroFridge straight to your dorm room — you won’t miss hauling a clunky appliance up five flights of stairs in August.
You can save $20 if you order before August 1.

Cons:
If you’re planning on using this option for two years or more, it is actually the most expensive, even with the $20 discount.
The university’s MicroFridges are temperamental. The machines hum, hiss and generally seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

Craigslist MicroFridge — $15 – $200

Pros:
This is by-and-far one of the cheapest options, short of having an older sibling hand down their MicroFridge to you. Browse Craigslist to check out the best deals.
Like purchasing off Amazon, you can sell it back on the Internet after you’re done with it.

Cons:
The quality of this option is a little more questionable, as it’s experienced more usage and its history is somewhat unknown.