Music

Rafi: 5 albums to watch out for this summer

Editor’s note: This column has been updated to reflect “Summertime ’06” being available for streaming and Travis Scott’s release of “Antidote.”

2015 is a blessed year for music. We got a new Kendrick Lamar album, a new A$AP Rocky album, a Lupe Fiasco album (one that was actually good), new Earl Sweatshirt, Future, Joey Bada$$, Tyler, the Creator… we even finally got “Surf.” The list goes on.

The year’s only halfway done, but we still have a ton of major releases on the way. That being said, here are five projects to watch out for this summer.

1. Vince Staples – “Summertime ’06”

Courtesy of Def Jam Recordings

Release date: June 30

“Summer of 2006,” said Long Beach rapper Vince Staples in an Instagram post, “the beginning of the end of everything I though(t) I knew. Youth was stolen from my city that Summer and Im left alone to tell the story.”

Vince Staples has been a monster lurking on the periphery of the rap game for a while now. He gained a lot of exposure every time he linked up with Earl Sweatshirt for a collaboration (like on “Wool” or “Hive”), but his solo debut could be a force to be reckoned with. “Summertime ’06” is a double-disc album centered on traumatic events and formative times in his youth. Based on “Señorita,” the first single off the album, one can expect a more confident Vince over some insane beat selection. With the legendary No I.D. in the executive producer role for the album, this could be a debut to remember.

On June 21st, “Summertime ’06” was debuted for streaming on NPR’s First Listen.

2. The Weeknd – Unknown Title

Release date: Aug. 28, according to hotnewhiphop

The Weeknd might not even be human. Perhaps he’s just a physical manifestation of what lies down in the rabbit hole of love, drugs and addiction. That’s what it felt like when “The Hills” was released in May. “I only f*ck you when it’s half past five,” he croons, “the only time I’d ever call you mine.” It’s some of his darkest lyrics presented with a mainstream sensibility. “Can’t Feel My Face,” the second single from his upcoming album, shows that The Weeknd is ready to step into the daylight. It’ll be interesting to see how his new sound plays out.

3. Travis Scott – “Rodeo”

Courtesy of Grand Hustle Records and Epic Records

Release date: “Before August”

Last year, Houston rapper Travis Scott dropped “Days Before Rodeo,” his second mixtape that offered a glimpse into his emerging aesthetic of trapped-out goth-rap. His unique sound is what makes him one of the most exciting and promising upcoming artists. The title of the tape is a straight lie, though — fans have been waiting for “Rodeo” for days, weeks, months, lifetimes. The first single, “3500,” was released on June 8, which means the album must finally be coming to fruition. Travis previewed a new song at JMBLYA on June 20th in New Braunfels, Texas, which fans dubbed “Night Show” in Vine snippets and YouTube videos. On the night of June 21st, he dropped the song, officially titled “Antidote,” on Soundcloud. The artwork is a picture of him and text that says “Rodeo soon… Sincerely, Travis.”

In a recent tweet, Scott claimed the album will arrive before August and that he “just want(s) the album to be ill.” If he’s making it ill, then the fans will wait for however many days to ride the “Rodeo”.

4. Migos – “Y.R.N.: Tha Album”

Courtesy of 300 Entertainment

Release date: July 31

All right, forget all this other artsy sh*t. We need bangers. We need the Migos to squad up like the Avengers and bless the world with some straight ignorant sh*t. “Y.R.N.: Tha Album,” is Migos’ first album after a string of highly successful mixtapes, singles, features and remixes. Will they step up their game for their debut album? Maybe. Maybe not. Who cares? With production from DJ Mustard, Metro Boomin, Zaytoven, Travis Scott, and more, there’s no reason to believe that this album will be anything other than a smoldering meteor of burning hot flames.

5. Frank Ocean – “Boys Don’t Cry”

Courtesy of www.frankocean.com

Release date: Sometime in July

It has been almost three years since Frank Ocean’s debut album “Channel Orange” was released. Since then, the R&B artist has gone almost radio silent. Even now, all that’s known about his new album is that it comes out sometime in July. Ocean has been recording in the Abbey Road studios, and the album might have an accompanying magazine with the same title. Either way, it’ll be exciting to see what Frank Ocean has been cooking up for three years.

Momin Rafi is a sophomore newspaper and online journalism major. You can email him at [email protected] or reach him on Twitter at @Mominat0r.