Women's Lacrosse

NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Rules Committee recommends 90-second possession clock for 2017 season

Kelli Mosher | Staff Photographer

If the proposal of a 90-second possession clock is passed by the NCAA, it would eliminate much frustration throughout the women's lacrosse community.

Syracuse is more than accustomed to being the victim of stalling, but a change could be coming. During meetings from June 1-3, the NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Rules Committee recommended adding a 90-second possession clock by the start of the 2017 season.

“We have heard more and more comments and concerns about long possession times from all three divisions,” said Julie Myers, the committee chair and the women’s lacrosse coach at the University of Virginia in the NCAA’s release. “Over the last few years, there has been a significant increase in the concern about the excessively long possessions that were taking place all over the field and throughout the course of our game.”

The reason for waiting until 2017, per the release, is so that schools can adjust to any financial implications the addition of possession clocks would have. The committee recommended using one clock at each end of the field, but one clock at a central scorers table would also be allowed.

The next step is to get the proposal approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss women’s lacrosse proposals on a July 16 conference call.

Under the 90-second possession clock, the timer would be reset if a shot was deflected by the goalkeeper or the ball hit the piping of the goal. The clock would also reset if a defender receives a card during the possession.

In Syracuse’s NCAA tournament semifinal loss to Maryland, the Terrapins held the ball for the last six-plus minutes of the game.