NBA Draft

NBA Draft: Rakeem Christmas reacts to being drafted and traded to Cleveland Cavaliers

Sam Blum | Sports Editor

Rakeem Christmas speaks to the media after being drafted No. 36 overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves and subsequently traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. —Rakeem Christmas said the first thing he thought when his name was called was, “Thank God.”

“I was just sitting there the whole time. I just wanted it to be over, and it happened, and I’m just happy this whole experience is over and I’m happy in the situation I’m in right now.”

Christmas was originally drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves with the 36th pick, but was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers, a team that lost in the NBA Finals 10 days ago. He finished his Syracuse career by averaging 17.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game after averaging just 5.8 points and 5.1 rebounds a season before.

“I just had to wait my turn. I had people ahead of me, C.J. Fair, Jerami Grant, Tyler Ennis. I didn’t have to do that much my junior year. In my senior year, Coach (Jim) Boehiem pulled me aside and told me it was going to be my team this year and to step it up. And that’s what I did this year.

Christmas was still unsure of his actual destination when he spoke to the media, but spoke excitedly at the chance to play with LeBron James.

He said he worked out for them, and said it would be a great experience to play in Cleveland.

“That’s someone I look up to,” Christmas said of James. “…It’s going to be great experience..I’d just be happy to be a part of that.”