Mike Hopkins officially named head coach-designate by Syracuse

Mike Hopkins, who joined Syracuse's staff in 1995, has officially been named Jim Boeheim's replacement. Boeheim said in March that he intends to retire in three seasons.

Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins has been named head coach-designate for the men’s basketball program by Chancellor Kent Syverud, the university announced in a release Thursday.

The announcement comes after the university announced in March that head coach Jim Boeheim intends to retire in three seasons. If that plan is seen through, Hopkins is now officially pegged to replace Boeheim after the 2017-18 season.

Hopkins played in Syracuse’s backcourt from 1989 to 1993, and joined Boeheim’s staff as an assistant coach in 1995. It has long been assumed that Hopkins would take over for Boeheim once the long-tenured coach retired, with public endorsements from Boeheim and former SU Director of Athletics Daryl Gross, among others.

“I believe Mike Hopkins will be a great coach,” Boeheim said in a press conference in March, “and I fervently hope that he is the coach here. But that’s something the chancellor will decide with the board of trustees, like they decide every major issue that happens at Syracuse University.”

It has been six days since Syracuse named Mark Coyle the 10th director of athletics in school history. In the release, Coyle says that he “fully” supports Syverud’s decision to name Hopkins head coach-designate.

“I’m honored, humbled and grateful for this special opportunity,” said Hopkins in Syracuse’s official release. “Very few people are afforded the privilege to coach at their alma mater. I want to thank Chancellor Syverud, the Board of Trustees and Jim Boeheim for entrusting me with this great program.

“Coach Boeheim has created one of the most preeminent college basketball programs in the country, one that is committed to a standard of excellence and consistency.”