Men's Soccer

2015 Syracuse schedule highlighted by 5 NCAA tournament teams

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

The Syracuse men's soccer team will look to follow up a 16-win season facing a schedule with five NCAA tournament teams.

The Syracuse men’s soccer 2015 schedule includes five teams that joined the Orange in the 2014 NCAA tournament.

Louisville and Clemson, both of which advanced to the round of 16 in last year’s NCAA tournament, will travel to Syracuse in 2015. SU looks to prove last year – when it achieved a No. 1 national ranking for the first time in school history – was not a fluke.

“Our 2015 schedule will once again be an exciting challenge and this year we will have a lot of new players to integrate into our young team,” head coach Ian McIntyre said in a SU Athletics press release. “We wanted to ensure that we face some very strong early competition in preparation for our ACC opener against Louisville. I know that our wonderful Syracuse supporters will enjoy coming out again this fall to the SU Soccer Stadium to watch some wonderful soccer and be an integral part of our soccer experience.”

Syracuse hosts Georgetown (Aug. 15) and Buffalo (Aug. 19) and will travel to Connecticut on Aug. 22 for its three exhibition matches before the season.

The Orange travels to Hofstra on August 28 and Bucknell on August 30 for the opening matches of its season. Bucknell won the Patriot League Tournament for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

The Orange opens the season at home on Friday, Sept. 4 at 2 p.m. against UC Riverside. Rutgers comes to Syracuse shortly after on Sept. 6 and then Louisville opens ACC play on Sept. 11.

Syracuse travels to Wake Forest to play another 2014 NCAA tournament team before returning home to host Binghamton on Sept. 22 and Pittsburgh on Sept. 25. The Orange takes to the road for three of four, including at Colgate Sept. 29, Duke on Oct. 2 and North Carolina on Oct. 10. In the midst of those games, Syracuse plays in-state competition Albany on Oct. 6 at SU Soccer Stadium.

SU gets four of its last five regular-season matches at home when Bowling Green (Oct. 13), Clemson (Oct. 17), Hartford (Oct. 20) and North Carolina State (Oct. 23) come to town. Syracuse will finish the season by traveling to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts for the season finale at Boston College on Oct. 30.

Last season, Syracuse finished 16-4-1, one win from the school record. The team advanced to the third round of the NCAA tournament before losing to Georgetown.