College of Engineering and Computer Science

Teresa Dahlberg selected as next engineering dean amid investigation into current school

UPDATED: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 10:02 a.m.

Teresa Dahlberg, who was selected to be the next dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science on Monday, is coming to Syracuse University amid an investigation into a decision made by her current school.

Dahlberg is currently the chief academic officer for The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City, where she will remain until the end of the academic year. However, her departure from The Cooper Union comes amid an investigation by New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman into The Cooper Union’s decision to begin charging undergraduate tuition for the first time in its history in 2014.

The school was founded in 1859 on the premise that it be “open and free to all.” Last year, citing financial troubles, The Cooper Union began charging tuition.

The investigation is “very serious” and Schneiderman’s office has pushed for the ouster of the president, administrators and trustees of The Cooper Union, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Because of the financial problems, the president of The Cooper Union put forth a financial sustainability plan, which Dahlberg supported, according to the Journal.

The Wall Street Journal also provided part of Dahlberg’s resignation letter, which read: “[W]hen I joined The Cooper Union, the Financial Sustainability Plan was already in place, with ambitious goals. We have been wildly successful in meeting or exceeding those goals by every measure. The challenge facing Cooper at this moment is in embracing this plan or another viable plan. I wish the Cooper community much success.”

Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs at SU, said in an email the university was aware of the investigation and SU did “reference checks at Cooper Union and analysis of the current matter there.” He added that SU is not in any way involved in the investigation and said “Dean Dahlberg has an excellent record of achievement. She is the right person to the lead the college forward and will be a great addition to our University.”

Dahlberg is expected to assume her role at SU on Aug. 1. She was recommended to the Board of Trustees by Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy, who said in an SU News release that she expects the Board of Trustees will support the selection of Dahlberg.