Commencement Guide 2015

Syracuse University’s Black Graduation to be held in new location

One morning in the fall of 2014, Samuel Boadu’s phone was flooded with notifications. One after the other, lighting up the screen with news he felt personally to blame for.

The messages were from Imani Johnson, a senior political science and African American studies major, saying that she had just been told Hendricks Chapel would unavailable this year for Syracuse University’s Itanwa Orinwa, otherwise known as Black Graduation, for the first time since it began in 2002.

“Everybody was going off like, ‘How’s that possible? It’s tradition. If we can’t have it there then we don’t want to have it,’” Boadu said.

Boadu said no one from last year’s planning committee had reserved the chapel for this year’s ceremony. Instead, the committee has secured Setnor Auditorium in Crouse College as an alternate location for this years’ ceremony, which will be held on May 8 from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. This new location came with its own set of problems, however. The auditorium doesn’t have a sound system, which adds an extra expense, and is not equipped with a projector.

Both Boadu, a biology and public health dual major, and Johnson are members of the planning committee for Itanwa Orinwa. Started 13 years ago by a group of students from the Student African American Society, the event has served to give special recognition to any student who identifies with the African or African-American communities. However, students of any race are welcome to participate. In addition to the problems the committee has faced, the university has stopped providing kente stoles, African tribal stoles given to graduates, for the ceremony, adding to the list of costs the Student African American Society has had to cover. Through hard work and collaboration, the committee has worked to alleviate these problems and expects 163 graduates to participate this year.

In addition, the university has stopped providing kente stoles, African tribal stoles given to graduates, for the ceremony, adding to the list of costs the Student African American Society has had to cover. Through hard work and collaboration, the committee has worked to alleviate these problems and expects 163 graduates to participate this year.

“It feels really triumphant,” Boadu said.

According to African American studies professor Herbert Ruffin, the committee’s faculty advisor, the fact that the ceremony is student-run is one of the many aspects of SU’s Black Graduation that sets it apart from those at other schools.

“At the end of a four-year journey, it is nice to be recognized for your hard work,” Ruffin said.

The ceremony will begin with a prayer, Boadu said. Student performers will take the stage shortly afterwards, followed by the presentation of the kente stoles. Two student speakers and the keynote speaker will offer remarks about the journeys the students have taken in their lives thus far and the ones to come after college. The ceremony will conclude with the presentation of the Don C. Sawyer Award to a student who overcame significant challenges while in college.

Boadu said that there is no doubt in his mind that the ceremony will be emotional for him. He believes his class was one of the most dynamic and intelligent ones he could have hoped to be a part of.

“Sitting on that stage, I’m just going to feel like a proud parent,” Boadu said. “I’m proud of those who attend the ceremony and those who don’t.”