University Politics

Syracuse University, Saudi research center announce agreement to improve educational experience

Syracuse University and the King Salman Center for Disability Research in Saudi Arabia have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to improve the educational experience for Saudi students with learning disabilities.

Saudi prince Sultan bin Salman, an SU alumnus, is the co-founder and chairman of the board of the King Salman Center for Disability Research. SU has historically promoted research and advocacy for learning disabilities and is collaborating with the KSCDR to implement goals set by the King Salman National Program for Learning Disabilities, according to an SU News release.

These goals include establishing a lecture series by experts in Saudi Arabia and ensuring that the best educational opportunities are available for Saudi students with learning disabilities, according to the release.

The agreement is part of a five-year strategy by the King Salman’s National Program for Learning Disabilities that has objectives such as an improved transition to university life for students with learning disabilities, training programs for instructors and job training for people with disabilities, according to the release.

Signatories for the Memorandum of Understanding include Sultan Al-Sedairy, executive managing director of the King Salman Center for Disability Research, James O’Connor, executive director of Middle East advancement and external affairs, and Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy.