Syracuse to host defending national runner-up Wisconsin in ACC-Big Ten challenge

Michael Gbinije and Syracuse will host Wisconsin in the ACC-Big Ten challenge. The Badgers lost to Duke in the national title game.

Syracuse will host defending national runner-up Wisconsin in the Atlantic Coast Conference-Big Ten challenge on Wednesday, Dec. 2, ESPN reported on Wednesday afternoon. Syracuse Athletics later confirmed the matchup in a release.

The Badgers lost to Duke in the 2015 championship game, 68-63, and finished the season with a 36-4 record. John R. Wooden Award winner Frank Kaminsky graduated along with point guard Traevon Jackson, and stretch forward Sam Dekker declared early for the NBA Draft. UW will return forward Nigel Hayes and guard Bronson Koenig.

SU head coach Jim Boeheim is currently sitting at 966 wins while the NCAA determines how many will be taken away as a result of the violations committed during his tenure. Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan has been with the Badgers since 2001 and amassed 357 wins with the program.

The last time Syracuse met Wisconsin was in the 2012 Sweet Sixteen, when the No. 1-seeded Orange won, 64-63, courtesy of 15 points and seven rebounds from C.J. Fair.