Many locations around Marshall Street unable to pay to show Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight

If you’re looking for “The Fight of the Century” on Saturday night, you will only find it at one location near Marshall Street.

Anyone who tries to see Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao square off tonight at Chuck’s Café, DJ’s on the Hill, Faegan’s Pub, Harry’s or Saltine Warrior Sports Pub will not be able to see the bout. Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar did not respond to four calls. The fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao has been in the works for several years, and is only available Saturday via pay-per-view for $100.

John Shahin, manager of Harry’s and Saltine Warrior, wanted to show the fight, but couldn’t pay the money to show the pay-per-view fight.

The promoter of the fight charges $34 per person allowed in the bar according to the fire code to show the fight, Shahin said. His bar, which allows 183 people, would be charged $6,222.

“I can’t afford $6000 to show a fight,” Shahin said. “That’s how much they’ll charge me? I can’t make that back in one night.

“It’s just wrong. This is why boxing is dead. I say f*ck you. Because you guys are corrupt, I’m not going to pay to fill your pockets up. Boxing’s corrupt. They’re f*cking thieves. They’re horrible. I can’t stand it. They’re f*cking corrupt beyond belief. That’s how I really feel.”

Chuck’s and DJ’s employees also said they could not pay the fee to show the fight. Faegan’s said it does not own the service needed to buy the fight anyway.

Boxing’s biggest problem, Shahin said, is its unwillingness to barter. The promoter approaches bars with the fee and it is a non-negotiable. Ultimate Fighting Championship does negotiate, a reason Shahin said he loves the sport and televises it.

“(Boxing promoters) say, ‘Who cares? They’ll buy it,’” Shahin said. “Who f*cking buys it? I won’t buy it. I can’t. You think they’d want everyone to show it and price it fairly. I got kids to feed. I got a wife. I got a mortgage. I have bills. They’re wrong to do this.”

Saturday night, Mayweather stands to make $180 million and Pacquiao, $120 million.

“Who’s paying for those guys?” Shahin said.

If the fight cost between $2000 and $3000, Shahin said he’d buy it. Shahin added that big corporate sponsors can cut deals with promoters, like Dave & Buster’s.

These are the places in Central New York you can watch the fight, according to Syracuse.com:

• Strada Mia at 313 N. Geddes St., Syracuse
  • Tilted Kilt Syracuse at 3019 Erie Blvd. E.
  • Dave & Buster’s Syracuse at Destiny USA, Syracuse
  • Orange Crate Brewing Co. 721 S. Crouse Ave.