College of Engineering and Computer Science

Teresa Dahlberg selected as next dean of College of Engineering and Computer Science

Courtesy of SU News services

Teresa Dahlberg has been named dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science, Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy announced Monday.

Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy announced Monday that Teresa Dahlberg has been selected as the next dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science.

Dahlberg previously served as chief academic officer for The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York City in 2014 and dean of the Albert Nerken School of Engineering in 2013, according to an SU News release.

“Teresa has an extraordinary record of achievement that speaks to both her passion and her skill as a scholar and higher education leader,” Liddy said in the release.

Liddy added in the release that she has recommended Dahlberg to SU’s Board of Trustees and she fully expects they will support the selection of Dahlberg as the college’s new dean in next weekend’s meeting.

As dean of the Albert Nerken School of Engineering, Dahlberg increased the engineering freshman class enrollment by 47 percent, the size and quality of the freshman applicant pool and the diversity and productivity of the engineering research faculty, among other accomplishments, according to the release.

Prior to joining The Cooper Union, Dalhberg served as an assistant professor of electrical engineering at the University of Carolina-Charlotte in 1995. Dalhberg then served as the associate dean of the UNC-Charlotte’s College of Computing and Informatics, according to the release.

Chancellor Kent Syverud said in the release that Dahlberg’s varied background will be of great value to SU, both now and in the future.

“Teresa is an outstanding scholar with 30 years of experience — including positions as an academic administrator, nonprofit founder, research center director, educator, industry developer and technology consultant,” Syverud said in the release. “I know that she is the right person to the lead the college forward and will be a tremendous addition to Syracuse University.”

Dahlberg is expected to assume her role as dean on Aug. 1.