Syracuse attack Kevin Rice named 1 of 5 finalists for Tewaaraton Award, college lacrosse’s top individual honor

Logan Reidsma | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse attack Kevin Rice has been named one of five finalists for the Tewaaraton Award, college lacrosse's top individual honor. He led Syracuse with 68 points this season, totaling 29 goals and 39 assists.

Syracuse attack Kevin Rice has been named one of five finalists for the Tewaaraton Award, college lacrosse’s top individual honor.

The senior joins Denver’s Wesley Berg, Notre Dame’s Matt Kavanagh, Albany’s Lyle Thompson and Duke’s Myles Jones as the five finalists.

Rice was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Offensive Player of the Year and leads the Orange in points (68), totaling 29 goals and 39 assists. He topped the ACC in points per game (4.85), assists per game (2.77) and game-winning goals (5).

He was named ACC tournament MVP after scoring the game-winning goal in a 9-8 win over North Carolina in the semifinals, followed by a three-goal, four-assist performance against Duke in the championship game. Rice looks to join Mikey Powell (2002 and 2004) and Mike Leveille (2008) as SU’s Tewaaraton Award winners.

The ceremony to announce the winner will take place in Washington, D.C. on May 28.