Women's Lacrosse

Kelsey Richardson looks to continue late-season success against No. 1 Maryland

Courtesy of TheACC.com

Kelsey Richardson has come up with key stops late in games to keep the Orange's late-season surge alive. She'll need to do the same against No. 1 Maryland in the final four.

Kelsey Richardson has struggled at times this season. A four-save performance in a loss against Boston College and a three-save effort in a defeat to Duke stand out.

But since the Orange began postseason play almost a month ago, she’s been playing some of the best lacrosse of her career.

“My confidence is really high right now,” Richardson said. “I’m seeing the ball well and I’m just really excited to play in the tournament.”

Richardson started out the season adjusting to full games and a new defense in front of her, but has blossomed into a saving grace for SU recently, often making crucial stops late in games to preserve victories. She’ll be called on again as No. 4 seed Syracuse (16-7, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) prepares to face No. 1 seed Maryland (18-1, 5-0 Big Ten) in the semifinals of the NCAA tournament at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania.

“She’s improved dramatically and has come on long way,” Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said. “In her leadership, in her confidence, she’s just developed and become a senior goalie that’s going to lead our defense.”

For her first three years at SU, Richardson split time in net with Alyssa Costantino. She only had to focus on one half and shooters didn’t have as much time to adjust to her tendencies.

But this season, Richardson had to get used to full games and shooters adjusting to what she does.

“As a goalie, you’re kind of at a disadvantage, anyway, because they already know where they’re going to shoot,” Richardson said. “Being able to react quick and make them second guess where they’re going to shoot is just a great thing.”

In the past six games, she has saved 47.7 percent of shots she’s faced, which would be good enough for 11th in the country for the year.

In the quarterfinals against Loyola (Maryland) on Saturday, Richardson stopped Greyhounds midfielder Sydney Thomas’ point-blank shot attempt with less than six minutes remaining that would have tied the game. Against UNC in the ACC championship game, Richardson made a save with two seconds remaining to send the game to overtime.

“She does a lot better under pressure,” draw specialist Kailah Kempney said. “She’s our last resort, the only person we’d want there, and she really comes up with some huge plays for us.”

Against Pennsylvania in the second round of the NCAA tournament, Richardson rebounded from a poor first half where she only made one save to make six in the second half.

For Gait, the difference this year and the end of this season is the amount of time Richardson spends practicing and watching film. For Richardson, it comes down to communication with her teammates and even the smallest details, including her eye black that resembles fives on her cheeks — blue this year at the suggestion of Gait — and reduces glare, she said, helping her see the ball better.

Despite her ability to perform in SU’s biggest games, Richardson is still working toward the goal of playing her best for an entire game, Gait said. The Orange’s game on Friday against Maryland, a team she posted a career-high 16 saves against in March, could be her last chance.

“Hopefully you’ll see her dialed in,” Gait said. “She doesn’t want to go home. She’s a senior. She wants to play again, move on to the next round.”