Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse attack Kayla Treanor selected as Tewaaraton Award finalist for 2nd straight season

Larry E. Reid Jr. | Staff Photographer

Kayla Treanor ranks ninth in the country with 80 points and 17th in the country with 53 goals. She was named a Tewaaraton Award finalist for the second straight season on Thursday.

Syracuse attack Kayla Treanor was named one of five Tewaaraton Award finalists on Thursday.

The Tewaaraton is awarded to the best player in college lacrosse and the winner will be announced on May 28 in Washington, D.C.

Treanor was a finalist last year, too, but the award was given to Maryland midfielder Taylor Cummings, who is also a finalist again this year. The other finalists are Florida midfielder Shannon Gilroy, Boston College midfielder Sarah Mannelly and Notre Dame defender Barbara Sullivan.

Treanor ranks 17th in the country with 53 goals and ninth in the country with 80 points.

No other Syracuse players were on the 25-player watch list, which was whittled down to five finalists.

On Tuesday, Treanor was named the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Offensive Player of The Year. She scored two game-winning goals in double overtime in the conference tournament two weeks ago. Since the start of April, Treanor has totaled 23 goals and 18 assists in nine games.

Fourth-seeded Syracuse (14-7, 3-4 ACC) will take on the winner of Albany (14-4, 5-1 America East) and Pennsylvania (14-4, 6-1 Ivy) in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Sunday at 3 p.m. at SU Soccer Stadium.