NFL Draft

Former Syracuse safety Durell Eskridge signs with New York Jets after going unselected in NFL Draft

Logan Reidsman | Asst. Photo Editor

Former Syracuse safety Durell Eskridge addressed the media after SU's Pro Day. He signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent on Saturday.

Former Syracuse safety Durell Eskridge announced in an Instagram post that he has signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent after not being selected in the NFL Draft.

#NothingWasNeverGiven

A photo posted by Nothing was never Given (@iam_de3) on

Eskridge played in all but one game during his three years at SU. He elected to enter the Draft and forgo his final year of eligibility. He had 68 tackles in his junior season and recorded one interception that was returned for a touchdown. He was projected to go in the fourth or fifth round according to CBS Sports as late as Thursday afternoon.

ESPN Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said he thought that Eskridge would have benefited from another year at Syracuse.

“I just don’t let that bother me, I don’t worry about what Mel Kiper has to say. I don’t worry about what any other analysts have to say,” Eskridge said after SU’s Pro Day on April 7. “I’m looking forward to what the general managers, the head coaches and the defensive back coaches have to say.”

Eskridge joins former Syracuse teammates Sean Hickey and Eric Crume as NFL undrafted free agent signees following the conclusion of the NFL Draft on Saturday.

“I just felt I had all the tools to become a safety at the next level,” Eskridge said after his Pro Day appearance. “I felt like I was ready mentally and physically. I thought I did as much as I can here at Syracuse.”