Movies

Benjamin: 5 movies you won’t see coming this summer

Every summer there are movies like “Avengers: Age of Ultron” that we spend the entire year, if not multiple years, looking forward to. But then there are also films that are equally good that show up out of nowhere and become smash hits. Take note of these five films and be prepared for their success.

“Aloha” (May 29):

“Aloha” has great talent both in front of and behind the camera. The film stars the American Sniper himself, Bradley Cooper, and America’s sweetheart Emma Stone, who are both hot off the heels of Oscar nominations.

Behind the camera is writer-director Cameron Crowe, who has given us great movies such as “Jerry Maguire.” “Aloha” is notable because it is not a sequel, reboot or reimagining, but an original film with an all-star cast. The film looks to highlight the beauty of Hawaii while also sharing a heartwarming story, a Cameron Crowe signature. This film will be a perfect summer date night while also being a great time at the movies.

“Spy” (June 5):

Tom Cruise isn’t the only spy who will be hitting theaters this summer. Melissa McCarthy plays Susan Cooper in the creatively titled comedy “Spy.” McCarthy has wowed audiences three consecutive summers with her physical humor, and this summer looks to be no exception. She is teaming up again with director Paul Feig, and together they have created two movies worthy of appearing on this list for previous years (“Bridesmaids” and “The Heat.”) “Spy” will not only be a fun comedy for audiences, but it also looks to be a unique spoof of a slightly overdone genre. The film is rated R, so don’t expect anything to be held back.

“Trainwreck” (July 17):

The name Amy Schumer might not mean much to you right now, but by the end of the summer she will be a star.
Schumer already has a following thanks to her lauded Comedy Central show, “Inside Amy Schumer,” but “Trainwreck” will increase that following significantly as she stars in and wrote the film. I have already had the pleasure of seeing “Trainwreck” thanks to University Union at Syracuse University, and I can report that it is a romantic comedy for the ages. The film not only has romantic elements that females can enjoy, but also a unique sports twist that boyfriends will love as well. Look out for hilarious cameos from LeBron James and Marv Albert in this film that will have audiences of all genders laughing and thinking.

“Ricki and the Flash” (August 7):

The official IMDb summary for this film reads: “A musician who gave up everything for her dream of rock-and-roll stardom returns home, looking to make things right with her family.”

Alright, that sounds fine and dandy, but the summary fails to mention that the rock-and-roller will be played by 19-time Oscar nominee Meryl Streep. That’s right, this summer we will see Meryl Streep play a rock star. Will this lead to Oscar nominee number 20? I’d bet on it. Additionally, the film is written by “Juno” creator Diablo Cody and directed by Jonathan Demme, who directed “Silence of the Lambs.” This will be a film you will not see coming, and also one you will be unable to miss.

“Straight Outta Compton” (August 14):

Hollywood sees remakes and adaptations of books all the time, but a film version of an album is quite rare. A film version of a rap album is basically unheard of, but this summer we will see what happens with “Straight Outta Compton.”

Though gang violence is never easy to watch, “Straight Outta Compton” looks to be a brutally honest portrayal of what happens in these gangs, and how important music was, and still is, to the young men who made it out. With income inequality and race relations on America’s mind, “Straight Outta Compton” looks to be a well-timed honest and welcome addition to the American zeitgeist of the 21st century.