Style

These 5 simple, spring fashion trends are perfect for warmer weather

Michael Isenberg | Staff Photographer

From left to right: Head-to-toe white, Festival Style, Athleisure, Shirt Dress, '70s

Spring is here, and it’s time to peel back the layers and transition to lighter fabrics and brighter colors. This year, take risks and do more than the cliché pastels and floral for spring. Try out one, or all, of these styles, which have been handpicked by fashion experts as this year’s biggest spring trends.

Head-to-toe white

041515_P_FromtheRunway2_MichaelIsenburg_SP

These days, no one really cares to follow the outdated rules of when to wear white and celebs have been spotted wearing the shade way past Labor Day. Judging by its prevalence on runways, the classic crisp and fresh style is this spring’s top color combination. Stand out in a head-to-toe white outfit no matter the occasion. To keep the plain hue interesting, Glamour magazine suggests mixing textures, layering multiple pieces and playing with different lengths like this long shirt and short shorts combo. Accessorize your all-white looks with pop of gold jewelry for an ethereal look.

Athleisure

041515_P_FromtheRunway4_MichaelIsenburg_SP

Thanks to sporty-chic designers such as Alexander Wang and celebrities such as Rihanna, Kanye West and Pharrell collaborating with activewear brands like Puma and Adidas, sportswear has become one of this year’s biggest trends. According to Instyle.com, athleisure merges comfort and fashion and can be worn for both athletic and leisure activities — think leggings and yoga pants which can be worn from gym to street. This spring, spruce up your old running shorts by wearing them with a bright blouse and jacket. Finish off your look with a pair of running sneakers and you’re ready to go.

Festival style

041515_P_FromtheRunway3_MichaelIsenburg_SP

Vogue.com declared this year the end of cutoff denim shorts. Instead this year’s    festival style features more feminine touches and lighter fabrics. This year at Coachella — the wildly famous annual music festival — celebrities were spotted wearing flowy kimonos, relaxed-fit dresses and earth tones. To achieve this style: shop for crocheted tops and silky shorts in neutral tones like olive, nude and brown. Finish your outfit off with a pale pink kimono for the perfect boho-chic, “dancing in the dessert” look.

Shirt Dress

041515_P_FromtheRunway5_MichaelIsenburg_SP

Spring 2015 fashion is all about marrying comfort and fashion, and there is no better combination of the two than the shirtdress. The Huffington Post reported that polo shirts made a comeback on runways for this season and the longer version of America’s favorite casual top followed along. Shirtdresses come in a variety of styles including collared, denim and even jersey. This easy, breezy style can be paired with flats, boots, sneakers or heels and can effortlessly go from day to night and work to play.

’70s style

041515_P_FromtheRunway1_MichaelIsenburg_SP

Several fashion magazines including Vogue UK and Harper’s Bazaar have named the ’70s the fashion decade of the moment. This is evident by the runways of designers from Prada to Céline which included retro touches like full pants, fabrics like velvet and suede and bold prints like gingham. But don’t go reaching for your old tie-dye shirt to get in on this trend. Simply swap your usual skinny jeans for a wide legged lace pair and put a modern spin on the retro style by wearing it with a crop top and booties. Finish off your cool look with a pair of Steven Hyde-approved aviator sunglasses.