Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Chantal Felice

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Chantal Felice translated her love of SU by getting a tattoo of the university’s coordinates on the back of her left shoulder.

As the school year comes to a close, senior Chantal Felice chose to commemorate her time at Syracuse University by getting a tattoo of the university’s coordinates.

“I have never felt so confident in my life but here,” Felice said. “This is where everything came together for me. This place gave me so much, and I am so forever grateful for it.”

Felice, a broadcast and digital journalism major, has the coordinates of the center of Syracuse University, located at 100 University Ave., 43.0377 degrees N., 76.1340 degrees W., tattooed on the back of her left shoulder.

A Los Angeles native, Felice came to Syracuse with the attitude that she wanted to experience growth. She described herself as a timid freshman, homesick at times but also concerned with creating a quality college experience.

“I was a wildflower, I just wanted to go, go, go,” Felice said. “I needed to experience growth. I needed to be scared. I needed to be uncomfortable.”

Felice has been involved in numerous organizations on campus, including Z89 radio, Citrus TV and the National Association for Hispanic Journalists. She credits her broadcast classes for providing constant challenges and for pushing her to create relationships with people in the Syracuse community. She added that although these things may come to an end, the lessons learned and the relationships forged will be everlasting.

Felice has two other tattoos, one of which is also on her back and says “Evolve.” She chose to place the coordinates directly across from this tattoo, as Syracuse has been a major part of her growth.

“It was the place where I evolved the most,” Felice said. “There were so many lessons here. There were heartbreaks. There were successful moments, trial and errors. Everything that comes with growing up, it happened here.”

Felice said although her future is uncertain, one thing is definite: SU has given her the confidence to pursue her dreams and to do what she loves.

“Lack of clarity sometimes allows you to open up and believe in opportunities and to believe in possibilities that you wouldn’t do otherwise,” Felice said. “The unknown allows you to dream.”