Syverud appoints 30 members to permanent task force on sexual assault and relationship violence

Chancellor Kent Syverud has appointed 30 members to a permanent task force on sexual assault and relationship violence, the university announced Thursday.

In a Syracuse University News release, Syverud said the task force will be advancing and implementing further improvements in sexual violence prevention, education and advocacy services on campus.

“The members of this new task force, representing students, faculty, staff and the broader community, will continue to look critically at our sexual assault and relationship violence services, policies and programs every semester,” Syverud said in the release.

The formation of the task force was a recommendation from the Chancellor’s workgroup on sexual violence, prevention, education and advocacy. The group released its 77-page report last December, and included 16 short-term and eight long-term recommendations, including the permanent task force.

The workgroup recommended that Syverud to create the task force and appoint “individuals with expertise and authority on issues related to students’ need; privilege and confidentiality; federal, state, and local statutes and policies; and fiscal and human resource issues.”

Joanna Masingila, professor and dean of the School of Education, and Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, senior vice president and dean of student affairs will serve as co-chairs of the new task force.

“Chancellor Svyerud has charged us with important and meaningful work, and I am confident that my colleagues and I will address these issues in the best interests of our students,” Masingila said.

The full list of task force members is as follows:

• Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, Senior Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs, co-chair
  • Joanna O. Masingila, Professor and Dean, School of Education, co-chair
  • Lois Agnew, Associate Professor and Department Chair, Writing Program, College of Arts and Sciences
  • Randi K. Bregman, Executive Director, Vera House
  • Lori A. Brown, Associate Professor, School of Architecture
  • Chase Catalano, Director, LGBT Resource Center
  • Andria Costello-Staniec, Associate Provost for Academic Programs
  • Katelyn U. Cowen, Director of Health Promotion
  • Cynthia Maxwell Curtin, Associate Vice President, Human Capital Development and Chief Officer for Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services
  • Rebecca S. Dayton, Associate Vice President for Health and Wellness
  • Herman R. Frazier, Deputy Director of Athletics
  • Tula Goenka, Associate Professor, Newhouse School of Public Communications
  • Andy Gordon, Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
  • Huey Hsiao, Associate Director, Office of Multicultural Affairs
  • Samuel L. Leiterman, Graduate Student Organization Representative, College of Arts and Sciences
  • Jill Lentz, Interim Chief, Department of Public Safety
  • Lynn S. Levey, Legal Writing Professor, College of Law
  • Andrew S. London, Professor of Sociology, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
  • Cathryn R. Newton, Professor of Earth Sciences and of Interdisciplinary Sciences and Dean Emerita, College of Arts and Sciences
  • Gabe Nugent, Interim Associate General Counsel
  • Pamela A. Peter, Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities
  • Amy Quichiz ’17, College of Arts and Sciences, Students Advancing Sexual Safety and Empowerment Representative
  • Dalia Rodriguez, Associate Professor, School of Education
  • Adam Rothstein ’16, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, Interfraternity Council Representative
  • Tristan K. Ruzic ’16, Martin J. Whitman School of Management, Panhellenic Council Representative
  • Sarah T. Solomon, Director of Student Assistance
  • Cory Wallack, Director, Counseling Center
  • Miriam Ward ’16, College of Arts and Sciences, Student-Athlete Representative
  • Barry L. Wells, Special Assistant to the Chancellor
  • Sudan Zhuang ’18, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Student Association Representative