Culture

Rich Homie Quan, Travis Scott, Fetty Wap to perform at Greek Unity Fest concert

Hip-hop artists Rich Homie Quan, Travis Scott and Fetty Wap will perform Friday night at Goldstein Auditorium to a sold-out audience. The concert is a part of this week’s Greek Unity Fest, and the floor seats were all sold within a day of the announcement.

“Our concerts typically don’t sell out,” said NPHC’s historian Nina Rodgers, who is also a former columnist for The Daily Orange. “Like, the floor does, but the balcony too? That’s a huge accomplishment for us.”

Rodgers, a junior broadcast and digital journalism and sociology dual major, also said many Greek alumni travel from far to attend.

The show was organized by the NPHC and the doors open at 6:30 p.m. Chelsea Mikell, NPHC’s social chair, said the goal of Greek Unity Fest is to unite the Greek community for a week of fun and stress-relieving events. The lineup of events include Wednesday’s “Empire” speaker Taraji P. Henson, Friday night’s concert and a step show, followed by an after-party on Saturday.

“(The artists) are all based upon hip hop, but all different types of hip hop,” said Michael George, senior accounting major.

Fetty Wap, the first performer of the night, rose to fame after his debut single “Trap Queen,” which was released late last year. The artist from Paterson, New Jersey currently has no projects out. His debut mixtape, “Fetty Wap: The Mixtape,” was delayed last February. There’s currently no release date.

Travis Scott will perform after Rich Homie Quan. Scott just finished his cross-country Rodeo tour with Young Thug Tuesday night in Seattle. The Houston rapper and producer is best known for his 2014 mixtape “Days Before Rodeo” and his close working relationship with Kanye West. The two have worked together on production for many of each other’s projects.

Rich Homie Quan will be taking the stage last. The Think It’s A Game Records artist forms one-third of rap group Rich Gang with Young Thug and Birdman. He entered the spotlight after his 2013 release “Type of Way” and has remained there since. “Lifestyle,” which he released with Rich Gang last year, was ranked by Complex Magazine as No. 2 in their “50 Best Songs of 2014” list.

“You have Travis Scott who’s very live and enthusiastic, then you have Rich Homie Quan who has a lot of hits so people are going to be able to sing along and ride along with his music,” said Michael George, National Pan-Hellenic Council’s treasurer. “Then you have Fetty Wap, who’s kind of like a transition between hip hop and R&B where he kind of sings, but he doesn’t rap.”

Travis Scott and Rich Homie Quan share verses on Scott’s song “Mamacita.” Scott is also known for playing songs from his upcoming debut album, “Rodeo,” at his shows.

The selection process for Friday’s concert took a lot of deliberation, and the lineup went through many revisions before the three artists were decided on, said both Rodgers and Mikell.

“We could not decide who to get,” said Mikell, a senior public health major. “We have our favorite artists, but it’s all about who’s really going to attract the audience.”

This past year, SU has hosted an extensive list of hip-hop performances. Schoolboy Q, Ace Hood and Migos performed here throughout the fall. Pell, Isaiah Rashad and Ty Dolla $ign have all performed in the spring semester, with 50 Cent and Rae Sremmurd recently announced as artists performing at SU’s Block Party on April 24.

“I think it’s really great that the whole campus gets to be exposed to these artists,” said Rodgers. “Hip hop is so popular. It’s cross-cultural, it crosses all kind of boundaries … it’s bigger than everyone just turning up and having a great time. It brings people together.”