Permission for parties to be held at Castle Court remains unclear

It’s unclear whether parties are being allowed again at Castle Court following a gathering of students in the parking lot last Thursday.

The party lasted for a few hours before the rainy weather gradually drove students away. A Syracuse Police Department car was present at the event for some time, but eventually left. In addition, several Department of Public Safety cars drove past the party on Thursday evening without stopping.

Hannah Warren, public information and internal communications officer for DPS, said she was not aware of parties being allowed again at Castle Court. She added that DPS was conducting regular patrols to ensure that nothing got too out of control.

Vern Thompson, day patrol and events coordinator for DPS, said the large parties at Castle Court were banned for safety reasons.

“We want students to be able to celebrate, but in a safe and responsible manner,” Thompson said.

Thompson said it was ultimately up to the Campus Hill management to decide whether or not parties were allowed at Castle Court.

Campus Hill management could not be reached for comment.

On Aug. 19, 2014, Castle Court residents had received an email from the Campus Hill management informing them that all large parties in the Castle Court parking lot were no longer allowed.