Paris Noir application period reopens two weeks after cancellation

About two weeks after canceling the Paris Noir program due to low enrollment, the College of Arts and Sciences and SU Abroad announced the reopening of the program’s application period on Tuesday.

The 14-year-old program, co-administered by the African American Studies department and SU Abroad, is a six-credit opportunity that takes students on a five-week trip through Paris exploring black literature, art and life. It was cut on March 18 due to low enrollment. A Change.org petition was started in response and, as of Tuesday, received 395 signatures.

SU re-evaluated whether the program can still be offered like any other class, course or study abroad program with low enrollment, according to an SU News release.

College of Arts and Sciences Dean Karin Ruhlandt said in the release the reopening of the application period was necessary.

“Paris Noir is a hallmark study abroad program and one that the University wants to see continue for many more years,” Ruhlandt said.

Janis Mayes, the program’s faculty director, will lead more intense recruitment efforts in hopes of getting the 14 necessary students for the trip to go as planned. The program had 10 applicants, three of whom paid their deposits, as of March 23.

“Paris Noir is so much more than a study abroad program; it’s a life-changing experience for students who otherwise may not have the opportunity to travel and study in Paris,” Mayes said in the release. 

Members of the SU community, including alumni, are trying to show the administration they’re concerned about the future of the program and want to see the program be successful, said Roshad Meeks, vice president of educational affairs for the Student African American Society.

“It’s not just about programs being cut. It’s this idea that programs and students are highly disposable and that certain things like this need to be committed,” he said at a press conference for THE General Body on Tuesday.

Danielle Reed, a junior African American Studies and Spanish major, called the reopening of the application period a win, but said there’s more to be done.

The deadline to apply for the program is April 17.