Mayfest 2015

Mayfest musical acts bring students together in Walnut Park

Leslie Edwards | Video Editor

The Knocks, an EDM group, performs Friday afternoon in Walnut Park as part of Mayfest.

Attendees of this year’s Mayfest were more likely to see snowflakes swirling through the air than girls sporting high-waisted shorts.

Students who braved the cold jammed out in their fleece jackets and combat boots to Ayo Alex, VÉRITÉ, Skizzy Mars and The Knocks, and enjoyed free food and beer in Walnut Park.

DJ Ayo Alex, who graduated from Syracuse University last spring, kicked off the musical performances. When Ayo Alex was a student, he was an audience member watching major acts like A$AP Ferg perform at Mayfest each spring. Now, he said performing on that same stage in front of his friends is a cool experience.

“Yo Syracuse, thank you so much — this is my last song,” Ayo Alex said at the end of his set. “It’s good to be home.”

VÉRITÉ continued Mayfest with an electronic-pop feel. She wore a leather jacket, dancing nonchalantly while she sang.

The energy of the concert grew as her set continued, with the crowd doubling in size from the time she got on stage to the end. A girl wearing a zip-up Pikachu costume got down to VÉRITÉ’s song, “Echo.”

“First time we ever played in the snow. You guys have good f*cking vibes, Jesus,” VÉRITÉ said. “And it’s not even May yet.”

Skizzy Mars followed, bringing to Mayfest both an SU bucket hat and the largest crowd yet. His performance was the peak of the day — the students’ energy level hit its all-time high. The smells of marijuana, beer and burgers wafted through the screeching, dancing crowd.

After his first song, Monica Lewinsky, he asked the audience, “You know what I say when people ask why I look so f*cked up?” The crowd screamed. “I say, ‘F*ck you,’ first of all, and say, ‘You know why I look so f*cked up? Because I am f*cked up.’”

In an interview before he performed, Skizzy Mars said that today he hoped he would leave the audience feeling positive vibes. He also said that “Monica Lewinsky” is his favorite song to perform live.

By the time the last act, The Knocks, got on stage, many students burned out from the long day of drinking and cold weather had left Walnut Park. Those who remained, though, were ready to rock out to the headlining act of Mayfest.

Students were dancing with all the energy they had left — swaying side-to-side, knees bent, heads bopping. The duo played live instruments and sang on stage. The crowd went wild for one of The Knock’s hit songs, “Classic.”

Before stepping on stage, The Knocks described their sound as a fusion between funk, disco, hip-hop and dance music. They also said that they like their music to juxtapose a retro feel — songs that feel like they could have been old — with a touch of future.

“They put on a great show — very good live, very good working with the audience and stuff,” said Brady Richards, a junior acting major who was dancing and singing songs word-for-word in front of the stage. “I like that it’s funky and fun. It’s fun dancing to them.”

As soon as The Knock’s set ended, the crowds emptied fast, leaving behind a muddy field and littered trash at the once-lively Walnut Park.