Letters to the Editor

Hillel hosts memorials in honor of Holocaust Remembrance Day

Holocaust Survivor Eli Weisel once said, “For the dead and the living, we must bear witness.” Thursday, April 16, the Jewish calendar marks Holocaust Remembrance Day, Yom Hashoah. Today, we bear witness, remember and mourn the lives of the 6 million Jews and 5 million homosexuals, physically and mentally disabled, gypsies, Roman Catholics, Jehovah’s Witnesses and those of color who were victims of the Holocaust. Likewise, we bear witness, remember and celebrate the survivors, liberators and righteous men and women who saved many lives.

To commemorate this day of remembrance, Hillel at Syracuse University and the Hillel Jewish Student Union would like to invite the Syracuse community to join us for one of three memorial events this weekend. Thursday, on the steps of Hendricks Chapel at 7:30 p.m. we will gather for a brief memorial service and vigil. Friday night, we invite you to join us at 5:30 p.m. for a memorial service before weekly Shabbat services begin at 6 p.m. And on Sunday, we invite you to join the larger Syracuse Community to Congregation Beth Sholom-Chevra Shas in DeWitt from 3–4:30 p.m.

All three events serve to honor the 11 million lives that were tragically taken from us. We must never forget the atrocities that occurred throughout the Holocaust and we recognize that genocide is still very much alive in our world. May their memory be a blessing.

Sarah Schugel, President of Hillel Jewish Student Union
Brian Small, Executive Director of Hillel at Syracuse University