crime

Hayes McGinley issues statement following court appearance Tuesday

Following his appearance in court Tuesday afternoon, Syracuse lacrosse player Hayes McGinley issued a statement through his lawyer about an incident on Marshall Street last month where he punched two people.

McGinley, a redshirt freshman midfielder, will no longer face charges in the incident if he stays out of trouble for a year. He must also stay away from his victims for a full year and may also have to pay restitution.

Here is the full statement:

“I would like to apologize to all who I involved in the unfortunate evening of March 14th. Until that night I have never been in one instance of trouble. I was extremely intoxicated and although I do not remember the night, I take full responsibility for my actions. I am embarrassed and remorseful. I am doing everything possible to address the alcohol situation. Know that something like this will never happen again.

I have let down my parents, my sister and brother, and my entire extended family and I am so sorry for that. I apologize to Syracuse University and my coaches and teammates for any negative attention this incident has brought upon them. I take my role as a student athlete very seriously and I pray that I am given a second chance. I am working very hard to regain respect from everyone in my life.

I would like to thank my family and friends for their support throughout this ordeal. I have learned many lessons from that night as well as accepted unending consequences from the media coverage. This has been a life changing event for me and my family. My hope is through my behavior and actions going forward, that something positive will come out of a bad situation.”