Abroad

Gipson: Harsh legal punishments make Singapore 2nd-safest country in world

When I realized my bank account had been hacked in Singapore, I freaked out in the middle of the Nội Bài International Airport in Hanoi, Vietnam. How could someone have possibly stolen almost $1,000 from me?

I rarely used my card to make purchases, relying on a wad of cash in my wallet instead. And when I withdrew from the ATM machine, I hid my PIN with my hands, preventing queued patrons from obtaining my credentials. So, what gives?

Believe it or not, Singapore was ranked the second-safest country in the world last year by the World Justice Project, trailing narrowly behind Japan. From what I know, locals have extremely rare run-ins with violent crime, such as rape and murder. In fact, chances are most older Singaporeans could tell you about every single murder since the 1960s, as these acts instantly make national headlines. This is a small country and when news hits the stands, you better believe it gets around to every last person.

Minor offenses, specifically pickpocketing and purse snatching, occur every now and then, though are not of primary concern. Major theft, however, is becoming increasingly uncommon, making my situation uniquely unfortunate, especially as a foreigner. In fact, this bank incident was a milestone for me. Getting robbed in Southeast Asia? Checked off the bucket list. Luckily, my money was returned in full and my card replaced by Bank of America within a few weeks’ time.

By far the largest deterrent for crime in Singapore is the well-defined and somewhat draconian consequences set by the government. Singapore is big on corporal and capital punishment, and has made international headlines in recent years for disciplining Westerners. Most commonly cited is the case of Michael Fay, an 18-year-old American student from St. Louis, Missouri.

In 1994, Fay was charged with theft and vandalizing vehicles with graffiti. As punishment, he was sentenced to four months in jail, a hefty fine and four strokes of a wooden cane to the butt. Not too bad for thousands in punitive damage.

Surprisingly, caning is a widely used form of punishment here. But taking a whipping to the backside is nothing compared to the punishment for drug trafficking. Anyone caught smuggling any narcotic through Singapore’s borders will be executed by a mandatory hanging under Singapore’s Misuse of Drugs Act — no exceptions. These long drop-styled hangings may only take place at dawn on Fridays.

Pregnant women and juveniles at the time of their offense may not receive this punishment. To date, the exact number of individuals hanged is unknown due to undisclosed statistics by the government. However, according to chief executioner, Darshan Singh, he revealed pulling the lever more than 850 times during his 43-year career starting in 1959.

There are certain areas where you should definitely watch your back. Based on discussions with locals, Little India seems to be one of those places. Last September, Central Police Division participated in a one night anti-crime blitz in that area and arrested 130 people for crimes including illegal gambling and drunk driving.

Two other tourist-dense areas are slightly iffy as well — Chinatown, the Red Light district of Geylang and Clarke Quay, a historical riverside harbor and modern hotspot. To report a crime, you can call 999. Singapore’s Police Force is notorious for being on the scene of a crime almost immediately. The thousands of cameras set up throughout the country make their jobs much easier.

I find the Singaporean approach in dealing with crime both interesting and effective. Citizens are virtually terrified of the government and know their offense will always be taken seriously. In summary, this intense fear of authority makes me wonder how Americans would receive adopting similar procedures in the U.S.

Zachary Gipson is a senior majoring in economics and linguistics. He is striving to fit in with the fast-paced locals of Singapore. To chat about life abroad, shoot him an email at [email protected].