Fast reaction: 3 quick observations from Syracuse’s blowout win over rival Hobart

In the 101st rendition of the No. 4 Syracuse (9-2, 2-2 Atlantic Coast)-Hobart (7-4, 4-0 Northeast) rivalry with the Kraus-Simmons trophy on the line, the Orange didn’t give the visitors a glimmer of hope, defeating the Statesmen 18-5 on Tuesday night.

Grand finale

In its final regular season home game in the Carrier Dome, the Syracuse senior class combined for nine goals. The Orange’s starting lineup throughout the season has been almost entirely seniors, and tonight they were able to celebrate in style.

Most of the seniors’ time on the field was short-lived as SU’s lead ballooned 12-0 by halftime. Head coach John Desko spent the majority of the second half utilizing his second- and third-line midfield and attack units.

But it was the first-line attacks Randy Staats and Kevin Rice that once again led SU’s offense. Staats rebounded and scored four times after being shutout in his return to the field from injury for the Orange on Saturday against North Carolina.

Rice also contributed with two goals and two assists.

New faces

Ben Williams has lifted Syracuse’s faceoff unit to new heights this season and once again allowed the Orange to dominate time of possession. Williams’ 68.6 percent faceoff winning-percentage entering Tuesday was second-best in the nation, and he built off that by going 8-for-9 at the X.

The position eventually turned into a rotation for Syracuse, with Cal Paduda, Joe DeMarco, Max Parker and Mike Iacono getting opportunities as well.

Paduda was shelved last season with torn ligaments in his knuckles, and in his first dose of significant playing time went 6-for-9 at the X for SU. DeMarco managed to go 2-for-3 in his faceoff chances, Parker won the only one he attempted and Iacono went 0-for-2.

Cage match

Saturday’s match against UNC was the first time all season that senior goalie Bobby Wardwell didn’t spend the majority of both halves in the net. Desko voiced his confidence in Wardwell on Monday, and he started there again for the Orange.

The senior only allowed one goal and managed four saves in the few offensive possessions the Statesmen had. As SU’s lead grew, Wardwell gave way to Warren Hill and then eventually to sophomore goalkeeper Evan Molloy.

Hill saved five of Hobart’s shots on goal, smothering a couple of them at his shins on close-range low-angle shots. He allowed two goals to score in his time in the cage before Molloy was called upon.

In his first game action for the Orange, Molloy allowed two goals and collected two saves.