Students host parties on Euclid Avenue as part of Mayfest

As snow fell lightly on Euclid Avenue around 2 p.m., one Syracuse University student dressed as Santa Claus prepared to walk to Walnut Park to attend this year’s Mayfest.

“I heard from the North Pole that Mayfest was occurring on Friday, April 24, 2015. So I rounded up the troops: Dancer, Prancer, Vixen and Blitzen, and I said, ‘hey, let’s go to Syracuse,’” the student said.

SU students were determined to enjoy this year’s Mayfest, despite the cold weather and snow. Many students bundled up in warm clothing and lingered on the 400 and 500 blocks of Euclid Avenue before making their way to various backyard parties on the street or to the main festival in Walnut Park. Some said the weather was not affecting their plans to enjoy the day.

“This is Syracuse. There’s nothing you can do, but it’s still a good time,” said Megan Miranda, a senior social work major. “It’s number one party school for a reason.”

The Princeton Review ranked SU the top party school in the United States last August.

One SU alumnus, who wished to remain unidentified, said this is the seventh Mayfest she has attended. She added that the weather was not keeping people from celebrating because bad weather is nothing new in Syracuse and that people would have fun anyway.

Some students even enjoyed the wind and the snow.

“This weather is beautiful,” said Rochee Bell, who requested to be called “Lord of the Wind,” as he held a rainbow pinwheel. “I’m just riding the wind.”

However, as the afternoon continued, more people seemed to be discontent with the weather as they were walking back from Walnut Park.

“Last year was way better. I enjoyed the day; it just wasn’t as good as last year or the year before. I mean, I was sunburned last year,” said Maddie Cox, a senior in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Julie Slavik, a senior in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, was also unhappy with how the weather turned out.

“As a senior, I’m pretty disappointed, but it’s okay,” Slavik said. “It’s Syracuse, so it’s expected.”

Slavik also expressed her disappointment that Castle Court was not available for parties this year. She said it felt like students were divided because the parties were not condensed, and that Mayfest is usually about different students uniting.

“But I also picked some flowers this year,” Slovak added as she held up some small blue flowers and smiled.

The cold weather also made the jobs of Syracuse Police Department officers easier, said Sergeant Chris Stehle, who was patrolling Euclid Avenue around 3 p.m. However, students are going to drink and party regardless, he added.

“The weather really has no effect,” Stehle said.

On Euclid Avenue, SPD patrols were placed on every block. The patrols ended before Maryland Avenue.

SPD and the Department of Public Safety were jointly patrolling Mayfest, but only SPD was were present on Euclid, said Sgt. Bill Galvin of SPD. Officers patrolled Euclid both in cars and on foot.

Galvin, who was patrolling Euclid Avenue at around 3 p.m, said at that time there had been very few incidents.

“We’ve only had a few cases of public urination and drunkenness,” said Galvin. “A lot in non-university housing, especially in people’s backyards.”

Galvin added that on the whole, students that he talked to were also more aware of the dangers of drink excessively in public and that they were more “cooperative and compliant” than they had been in previous years.

“There’s definitely an increased awareness,” Galvin said. “The education for that has been good. Whoever is getting the message out is getting it out there.”