Feature Guide 2015

Eagle Scout gives advice for must-have items, weather preparation for going hiking

Illustrations by Tony Chao | Art Director

As the winter thaws, adventure seekers look to get out of their stuffy dorms and into the great outdoors. No matter if you are a beginner or a seasoned hiker, these tips will ensure a safe and thrill-satisfying excursion. As a an Eagle Scout who has done his fair share of hiking, here are some of my favorite tips:

Water bottle
Staying hydrated while hiking is crucial to enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Drinking water prevents dehydration, heatstroke and heat exhaustion, which all could land you in the hospital. I suggest purchasing an insulated water bottle such as the Polar Bottle. The insulation will keep your water cold and the bottle won’t “sweat” like uninsulated ones will.

DO illo - pulp feature

First aid kit
All hikers should have a first aid kit with them. Let’s hope you’ll never need to use it, but it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. You don’t need to carry a small hospital with you, but having the basics is necessary. I suggest filling a small plastic bag with Band-Aids, alcohol wipes and an Ace bandage, just in case you or your hiking buddy has a nasty tumble.

DO illo - pulp feature 1

Hiking buddy
You should never go hiking alone — always use the buddy system. It may sound silly or obvious, but when going on long hikes, bad things can happen. If you have a friend with you, it ensures that you will have someone there with you if anything goes wrong.

DO illo - pulp feature 2

Map
It is essential to know the trail you’ll be hiking, so review the map of where you are hiking before and during you adventure. Never stray too far from the trail; you will do unnecessary damage to the environment and might get lost. Maps on your phones can show location, but it takes a map of the area to show you landmarks and trails.

DO illo - pulp feature 3

Boots
Protecting your feet is the most important part of any hike. This starts with a sturdy hiking boot that will prevent blistering and ensure an enjoyable adventure. A lot of boots on the market are sold for fashion, so make sure when purchasing a pair of hiking boots that they are waterproof and are made for adventures off the runway.

DO illo - pulp feature 4

Weather tips for hiking:

Hot day: Warm weather might sound like a distant dream after this Syracuse winter, but when the forecast finally shows hot temperature, the true outdoorsman has to be prepared. Pre-hiking preparation is vital when temperatures rise. The only thing worse than sunscreen is getting a sunburn. Applying at minimum SPF 35 sunscreen should prevent you from looking like a lobster by the end of the hike. It’s important to drink plenty of liquid before embarking on your journey to prevent dehydration and cramps.

Rainy day: You should be prepared to deal with rainy conditions whenever you plan a hike. I suggest purchasing a rain poncho —they are cheap, light and fit nicely in any bag. If you don’t trust your hiking boots to keep your feet dry, I would also pack two Wonder bread bags. Place your foot inside the bags and tie them around your ankle. This will keep your feet dry and will prevent any blistering that would occur if you hiked in wet socks.

Cold day: The average Syracuse University student endures a cold weather hike every day of classes, but there are a few things you can do to stay warm. Wearing multiple layers traps air between articles of clothing and will keep you warmer than wearing one big jacket from Canada. It also allows you to take layers off if you get hot while hiking. Many times because it’s cold people don’t think they need to drink water, this is the farthest thing from the truth. You still need to drink plenty of fluids when cold weather hiking.