Durell Eskridge discusses decision to leave Syracuse early, looks ahead to professional future following Pro Day

Logan Reidsma | Asst. Photo Editor

Former Syracuse safety Durell Eskridge speaks with reporters after the Orange's Pro Day on Tuesday at the Cliff Ensley Athletic Center.

Durell Eskridge has heard that he could have used another year at Syracuse. Whether it was NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. or even his own strength coach Will Hicks, he knows that every time a player leaves early there will always be people that say he shouldn’t.

“I just don’t let that bother me, I don’t worry about what Mel Kiper has to say. I don’t worry about what any other analysts have to say,” Eskridge said. “I’m looking forward to what the general managers, the head coaches and the defensive back coaches have to say.”

Eskridge was defiant in his first public comments since deciding to leave Syracuse a year early to pursue an NFL career. The safety spoke to the media following his SU Pro Day performance on Tuesday at the Cliff Ensley Athletic Center and looked toward his professional future. He currently projects as a fourth- or fifth-round pick, according to CBS Sports.

Eskridge — who was third on SU with 47 tackles in his final season — said his 40-yard dash time improved from 4.57 seconds to around 4.50, and that he’d had workouts with the Miami Dolphins and Houston Texans.

“I gave him the facts. I wanted him to come back,” said Hicks, SU’s assistant athletics director for athletic performance. “… The decision really comes down to the kids.”

Last week, Hicks said he hadn’t seen much improvement in Eskridge’s numbers from the football season to February’s NFL Scouting Combine. He said Eskridge “is who he is.” After Tuesday’s Pro Day, though, Hicks acknowledged he saw improved speed and positioning from the safety.

Hicks added he’s heard from 16 or 17 teams about Eskridge and that a connection Hicks has to an NFL team told him the team wanted to draft Eskidge if he’s still available in the fourth round.

“I thought he did a really good job. I was really impressed with the way he ran his 40,” former SU safety Ritchy Desir said about Eskridge’s Pro Day. “I like the way he ran, I was really impressed.”

Eskridge said he had two drops on Tuesday that he was upset with, but rated his overall performance an eight out of 10. He said he’d hear on Tuesday night or on Wednesday morning which teams had reached out to his agent regarding their interest.

He planned to travel back to Boca Raton, Florida to continue training at SP Sports in preparation for the Draft in late April.

His decision to make that jump to the draft was a joint one. He talked within his family. He got information from Hicks. He got information from the NFL. He thought a lot about the decision and isn’t looking back now.

NFL teams love Eskridge’s 6-foot-4, 205-pound frame to compliment his speed. Regardless, there’s also people who feel there’s room to grow in an Orange uniform. But regardless of what other people say, he’s confident in his future.

“I just felt I had all the tools to become a safety at the next level,” Eskridge said. “I felt like I was ready mentally and physically. I thought I did as much as I can here at Syracuse.”