National

Cuomo selects University at Albany to establish college focused on emergency management, homeland security

Syracuse University was not granted a new college focused on emergency management and homeland security, but rather was passed over by Gov. Andrew Cuomo for the University at Albany, State University of New York.

In last year’s New York state budget, Cuomo developed the idea of a college, but did not have a set location for the new college. UAlbany was named the location of the college earlier this year and Capital New York reported Tuesday a few reasons why SU was not selected.

New York State Sen. John DeFrancisco (R-Syracuse) had pitched the idea of a partnership between the State University of New York and SU. But the nearly $15 million in state budget to build the college went to UAlbany rather than SU and DeFrancisco told Capital he’s not sure why.

“What (Cuomo’s) reasons for it are, you are going to have to ask him, but it was very disappointing to say the least,” he told the Albany-based publication.

A few reasons Capital reports as to why UAlbany was selected over SU include that UAlbany needs an enrollment boost and New York’s Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services building and New York State Police headquarters are in Albany.

Cuomo announced the plans for the college during his 2014 State of the State address. SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher told Capital New York at the time the location of the college would likely be in Syracuse.

“Believe it or not, there is no such college,” Cuomo said during the speech. “There are colleges that offer courses in the area, but we are going to establish the nation’s first college dedicated solely to emergency preparedness and homeland security because I believe this is a field that is only going to grow.”

DeFrancisco told Capital he doubts UAlbany will be able to gain national recognition for the program, like he said SU would have.