Recruiting

Class of 2016 offensive tackle Cam DeGeorge discusses commitment to Syracuse

The most notable thing about Cam DeGeorge’s commitment was something that he wasn’t even aware of. DeGeorge, the first verbal commit in Syracuse’s Class of 2016, made his announcement via Twitter on Monday morning.

“Honestly, I didn’t know I was going to be the first of the class,” DeGeorge said. “That had no factor play into it.”

DeGeorge, a 6-foot-5, 275-pound two-way lineman at Lynnfield (Massachusetts) High School, plans on playing offensive tackle for the Orange. His commitment comes 10 days earlier in relation to the first commit of the Class of 2015 last year.

He also had offers from Colgate, Temple and Holy Cross, DeGeorge said, while also receiving interest from Connecticut. The decision came after visiting SU last Sunday.

“It was a good fit and I could see myself going there,” DeGeorge said. “You get a feeling and I just thought it was the right one.

“… I felt like a month down the road, I would have made the same decision, so why not get it out of the way?”

Syracuse has five offensive linemen in the Class of 2015, per Scout.com, and 13 currently on its roster.

DeGeorge was first recruited by defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough, who visited DeGeorge last spring. The two stayed in touch over the past year, culminating in the verbal commitment.

The two things that stood out most to DeGeorge about SU were the coaches and the campus.

“They’re good people and they have a family attitude,” DeGeorge said. “… And I like the whole campus thing. The setup of the campus, that’s what I really like, you know.

“That’s what I always wanted in a school and they have that.”