Fraternity and Sorority Affairs

Case for Nu Alpha Phi fraternity members facing hazing charges remains in early stages following court appearance Monday

Two Nu Alpha Phi fraternity members appeared in city court Monday afternoon to face charges in a hazing incident that almost cost a pledge four fingers.

Tae Kim, 19, and Jeffrey Yam, 21, have both been charged with hazing in the first degree, a misdemeanor. They pled not guilty in court last month.

The court appearance on Monday was a pre-trial hearing where Kim and Yam’s lawyers had a brief preliminary discussion with the District Attorney’s office. Nothing was decided and the case is still in the early stages, said James Hopkins, Kim’s lawyer.

Hopkins declined to comment on Kim and Yam’s status at SU. The university has said the two students will be subject to the student code of conduct.

Yam’s lawyer declined to comment on Monday.

Kim and Yam were arrested on March 4 in connection with a hazing incident that police said happened at about midnight on March 1 in Lower Hookway Park on East Colvin Street. Police said three Nu Alpha Phi pledges were told to perform pushups and situps and roll in the snow for about 20 minutes for failing to correctly perform their daily duties. The pledges had no gloves on and after finishing the exercises were given hand warmers and told to walk back to the fraternity — about a mile and a half away, police said.

One of the pledges, Joseph Gallo, went to Crouse Hospital the next day, police said, and was told he had severe frostbite on his fingers and might lose his ring and pinkie fingers on both hands. Police later said Gallo will not lose his fingers.

The other two pledges involved in the incident refused to cooperate in the investigation, police said.

Last month, a city court judged ruled that Kim and Yam could attend classes they had with Gallo but otherwise had to stay away from him.

Syracuse University suspended Nu Alpha Phi, an Asian-interest fraternity, on March 2, meaning the fraternity can’t participate in any fraternity-affiliated activities on or off campus, including recruiting new members, hosting activities and participating in activities supported by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

The suspension will continue until SU fully investigates the incident and any resulting conduct charges are resolved.

Kim and Yam are due back in court on May 28.