John Desko says Bobby Wardwell to start against Hobart; Henry Schoonmaker to likely miss game

Frankie Prijatel | Photo Editor

SU head coach John Desko said Bobby Wardwell (1) will start in goal against Hobart on Tuesday. The head coach added that Henry Schoonmaker will likely miss the game after suffering an injury in SU's loss to UNC on Saturday.

After being noncommittal following Syracuse’s loss on Saturday about a starting goalkeeper for SU’s matchup with Hobart on Tuesday, head coach John Desko was more defiant when the question was brought up at a media availability on Monday.

“There’s no doubt about it,” Desko said. “Bobby Wardwell will be in the goal tomorrow.”

Wardwell was pulled from SU’s 17-15 loss at North Carolina after allowing 10 goals on 14 shots in the first half. Warren Hill replaced him and fared a little better, collecting six saves. Desko said his reasoning was to help mix things up.

Wardwell has started in every game this season and Hill, an Onondaga Community College transfer, has received limited minutes off the bench.

Former SU goalkeeper and current graduate assistant Dominic Lamolinara said the coaching staff was still looking at the tape and would use Monday’s practice to make a final decision on who would play on Tuesday. But Desko made sure any rumors of a more permanent goalie change were put to rest.

Said Wardwell: “As far as I know, I think I’m going to be playing tomorrow.”

Henry Schoonmaker likely won’t play on Tuesday 

Desko said on Monday that starting midfielder Henry Schoonmaker likely won’t be available for SU’s game against Hobart on Tuesday.

“I don’t think he is,” Desko said. “I hope he is, but I don’t think he is. We’ll know more tomorrow.”

Schoonmaker sat for much of the second half of SU’s loss to UNC on Saturday. He was seen on the ESPNU broadcast with his right shoulder taped up. Leaving the game, Schoonmaker was seen with his arm in a sling and ice wrapped around his shoulder. The senior midfielder has scored 13 goals this season, including 10 in the four games before the injury.