Letters to the Editor

Alumnus responds to SPJ letter concerning review headline

This letter is in response to “Syracuse SPJ takes issue with review headline in DO print edition.”

While the letter writers assert that the headline “Viet-Nom Nom Nom: Ky Duyen Café offers variety of traditional Vietnamese cuisine for affordable prices” is “culturally-insensitive,” they fail to offer any supporting evidence.

Are the letter writers suggesting that all country-based puns are off limits? Or are the alarms activated simply because it’s a play on words that involves an Asian country?

Is it a great headline? No. But is it somehow belittling or making fun of the people of Vietnam? Their heritage? Their culture? Also, no.

There are significant issues of discrimination and prejudice that Vietnamese and Asian people face in America and at Syracuse. For example, how many fraternities or sororities lack a single Asian member? What SAT score is required for an Asian student to be admitted to Syracuse versus the general population? At most schools, it’s higher. Does Syracuse place an unofficial quota on the number of Asian students they admit? Many colleges do.

There are so many real questions involving discrimination and prejudice against Asian people at Syracuse, it’s too bad these SPJ members decided to focus on a fake one.

Sincerely,
Jared Novack
Class of 2006
Former Daily Orange Editor