Work Wednesday: Neali Rogers

Tingjun Long | Staff Photographer

Neali Rogers designs and sells college themed chokers. She was searching for a trendy way to complete her tailgating outfit and decided to make her own choker.

Neali Rogers wanted to add a Syracuse University-themed choker to her tailgating outfit, but couldn’t find one online or at local spirit shops.

“(My roommate and I) were talking about how we wished someone made chokers for Syracuse, but then we thought, why don’t we just make them,” said Rogers, a freshman education major.

Rogers and her roommate Sydney Trager, a freshman advertising major and a contributing writer for The Daily Orange, formed Trends by Tres, a jewelry-making company that specializes in college themed chokers. The duo bought the specialty beads and different colored strings online.

“I didn’t think chokers would ever be back in style — I wear one now and I really like it,” Rogers said. “I think it’s a trend that will always come in and out of style.”

When making a choker, Rogers starts with a large bead for the center of the piece, and places two smaller beads on either side. Her favorite choker features an orange-slice with two blue beads on either side. She said the duo normally just sits on each other’s beds to make the necklaces.

“I like the orange slice one because it is very Syracuse. It is orange, and we are orange — it’s just very cute and funny and clever,” Rogers said.

Rogers said she has been texting some friends from other schools and asking if they would be interested in buying and helping to sell the designs. She said the duo often posts about it on Facebook and wants to generate interest through social media.

She is currently working to send themed chokers to friends at the University of Florida and Penn State. The chokers are sold for $10 apiece, but the price could go up based on the type of bead requested.

When she was young, Rogers used to make bracelets but hadn’t thought about making jewelry again until she came to Syracuse, Rogers said. She added that her family and friends have been excited and supportive of her efforts.

Rogers hopes one day to expand the company and wants the chokers to be carried by both the Syracuse University Bookstore and Manny’s.