University Union

University Union set to announce MayFest, Block Party artists in near future

University Union plans to announce the artists that will be performing at this year’s MayFest and Block Party events “very, very soon.”

Alli Reich, co-director of public relations for University Union, said she can’t say for sure when the announcement will happen, though.

MayFest and Block Party make up UU’s annual full-day spring music event. MayFest and Block Party typically occur on the fourth Friday of April, with MayFest starting at about 1 p.m. in Walnut Park and Block Party beginning at 6 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. But students across campus have been growing restless as UU has yet to announce the artists for this year’s events.

Reich, a senior drama major in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, said there is no specific reason why it is taking longer than usual for UU to announce the artists for this year’s MayFest and Block Party.

“It’s not really up to us,” Reich said. “It depends more on the artists.”

Sometimes artists’ contracts take longer to work out than others, she said.

“We would obviously love to announce (the performers) as soon as possible,” Reich said. “We’re almost there though, just keep hanging in. I promise it will be very soon.”

Last year, the artists for Block Party — Zedd, 2Chainz and Brazzabelle — were announced on Feb. 23, 2014.

A$AP Ferg, AraabMUZIK and Joywave were announced as the performers for the 2014 MayFest a few days later on Feb. 26, 2014.

Two years ago, the Block Party announcement had a similar timetable to this year when it wasn’t announced until March 31, 2013 that Ke$ha would be performing at the event. The artists for the 2013 MayFest — Earl Sweatshirt, Sound Remedy and The Chainsmokers — were announced about a week later on April 7, 2013.

In addition, Ke$ha’s supporting acts for the 2013 Block Party, Trey Songz and Drop City Yacht Club, weren’t announced until April 16, 2013, just 10 days before the 2013 MayFest and Block Party, according to the UU Facebook page.