Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Donna Gureckas

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Donna Gureckas has a tattoo inspired by her love of the band Nirvana. The tattoo reads, “I’m not like them, but I can pretend.” The lyrics are the first line of “Dumb,” her favorite song by the band.

The Nirvana song lyrics tattooed on Donna Gureckas’ rib cage are a reminder of the importance of staying true to herself, despite what others think.

Her tattoo is of the lyrics “I’m not like them, but I can pretend.” The lyrics are the first line of the song “Dumb,” her favorite song by the band. Nirvana was one of the most influential bands of the early 1990s, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014.

These words have special meaning to Gureckas, who is a sophomore television, radio and film major. Gureckas said she struggled with bullying and self-esteem issues throughout elementary and middle school.

“I knew I was always different and kind of a weird, alternative kid, but then I would go to school and try and fit in and pretend I was OK, even when I wasn’t really,” Gureckas said. “But it’s kind of shown that I’ve overcome a lot of the troubles that I had growing up.”

The song lyrics remind Gureckas of her past and represent her journey in becoming comfortable with who she is.

Gureckas has always loved Nirvana, crediting her parents with exposing her to rock throughout her childhood. She recalled listening to all of Nirvana’s greatest music in her mom’s car when she was in third grade. But Nirvana didn’t become her favorite band until she was in high school when she exposed herself to all of the group’s music.

“I hate saying they’re my favorite band because they’re just so much more than that,” Gureckas said. “A fellow fan once said to me, ‘Nirvana isn’t a favorite — they’re a way of life.’”

Gureckas got the lyrics tattooed in December 2013. She has four other tattoos with special meaning, including a heart and star on her foot which she got with her best friend, her zodiac symbol on her hip, the word “free” on her wrist and the tri-force from “The Legend of Zelda” on the back of her thigh.