Ice Hockey

Syracuse falls to RIT, 2-1, in second overtime of CHA tournament final

Carly Payerl skated into the neutral zone to receive a pass from Morgan Scoyne.

After a give-and-go, Payerl quickly skated up the ice and into the attacking zone as she got the puck back, cutting in between the circles.

Syracuse’s Stephanie Grossi dropped low to the ice, but Payerl fired a one-timer past her outstretched stick and over goalie Jenn Gilligan’s left shoulder, ending the game and Syracuse’s season.

“From our vantage point on the bench, I don’t think Jenn really saw it,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said.

The Orange (11-15-10, 9-7-6 College Hockey America) lost 2-1 to Rochester Institute of Technology (15-18-5, 9-12-3) in double overtime at Mercyhurst Ice Center Saturday evening. SU outshot the Tigers 45-30 and scored first in the second period. Both teams had ample opportunities in the first overtime but neither was able to capitalize.

With the win, RIT moves on to the NCAA tournament’s eight-team field as SU squandered the chance to make its first national tournament.

“We had our chances but the goaltender was the MVP of the tournament, she was outstanding,” Flangan said of RIT goalie Ali Binnington.

With just over six minutes to play in the second period, SU beat Binnington.

Grossi won a faceoff in the SU zone, eventually working the puck to defender Nicole Renault at the left point. Renault sent a slap shot on goal that forward Emily Costales tipped into the right side of the net.

“I wouldn’t say (we) should’ve (won),” Flanagan said about being up early and outshooting the Tigers. “We had our chances, yeah, absolutely.”

Right as the third period was getting under way, RIT struck back.

Tiger defender Taylor Thurston passed from the left point to forward Caitlin Wallace in front of the net. Gilligan made the initial save, but Lindsay Grigg was there for the rebound and score.

“You kind of knew when regulation ended that this would be a great game to win and an awful game to lose,” Flanagan said.

The first overtime period was fast-paced and full of chances for both teams. Both goalies fended off odd-man rushes at the start of the period, but neither team was able to break through.

The game slowed down in the second overtime before Payerl scored the winning goal on a seemingly innocent shot.

“Our defenseman was backing in a little bit, trying to respect the kid’s speed, and she snapped it off,” Flanagan said. “It was a good, quick release.”

Payerl was the only RIT player in the attacking zone when she scored.

After hitting a low point against RIT on Jan. 23, Flanagan said he never would’ve expected to have this opportunity.

SU went 4-2-2 to end the regular season after that game and Flanagan said the Orange was playing its best hockey of the season heading into the CHA tournament.

Said Flanagan: “We worked extremely hard, it was a great game, a great game from start to finish and I give them a ton of credit. … To not come through was disappointing but we got out of here with our heads up.”