Softball

Syracuse comes up short in both parts of doubleheader against Louisville

Syracuse found two different ways to lose two different games on Saturday on the road against Louisville.

The Orange (12-16, 0-5 Atlantic Coast) fell to Louisville (21-8, 10-1) in a slugfest, 15-11, and then in a more defensive game, 5-4.

Syracuse fell behind in deep holes each game, starting with an 8-0 deficit in the first game.

A seven-run bottom of the fourth inning put Syracuse down by one run, but Lindsey Larkin and Jordyn White allowed an additional seven runs over 3 2/3 innings, which proved too much for the SU offense to come back from.

The last time Jocelyn Cater took to the circle against Towson just under two weeks ago, she tossed a complete game win with 15 strikeouts and allowed two hits. On Saturday against Louisville, she was handed the loss after allowing the first eight runs on seven hits and two walks.

Freshman right fielder Maddi Doane batted leadoff and led the team offensively with three hits in five at bats, including two doubles and a triple. She also drove in five runs.

The usual leadoff hitter, freshman shortstop Sammy Fernandez, did not play in either game.

Syracuse also trailed 5-0 in its second game before chipping into the lead.

It took until the bottom of the sixth. The Orange’s Sydney O’Hara continued her hot hitting and added to her team-leading .297 batting average when she drilled a Madi Norman pitch into the right-field seats for a two-run dinger to draw SU within 5-4.

Louisville immediately brought in Maryssa Becker, who recorded a four-out save.

Syracuse played as the home team in both games, since the series was originally scheduled to be played in Syracuse, but the conditions at SU Softball Stadium were deemed unplayable. SU has played 28 games away from home to begin the season.

Compiled by Sam Fortier, staff writer, [email protected].