SU uses gift to establish Charles Brightman Endowed Professorship of Physics

A new endowed professorship of physics has been established through a $1.4 million bequest to the department of physics, the College of Arts and Sciences announced Tuesday.

The money is being used to create the Charles Brightman Endowed Professorship of Physics. The bequest, which is the act of giving property by will, comes from Joseph and Charlotte Stone and “is designed to attract and retain the best physicists in the field.”

“The Stones’ generosity enables us to not only attract established and rising stars, but also increase the size of our research footprint. It helps us strengthen an already strong department,” said Karin Ruhlandt, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, in an SU News release.

Ruhlandt will select the inaugural Charles Brightman Professor later this year, according to the release.

“This professorship ensures our department’s ongoing success by attracting and supporting physicists in all disciplines,” said Alan Middleton, chair of the department of physics. “It’s a reflection of Charles Brightman’s legacy, as well as the generous philanthropy of the Stone family.”

Charlotte Stone was the daughter of Brightman, who taught physics at Syracuse University for more than three decades and retired in 1950. Stone is a class of 1937 alumna of both Arts and Sciences and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, according to the release.

The Stones had previously given back to SU with gifts to support the Tolley Humanities Distinguished Teaching Professorship in Arts and Sciences and the Schine Student Center.